Biscuit and I saved radish seed today. The process is quite simple:
- Make sure the pods are completely dry
- Shove them into a fabric bag
- Beat the crap out of it (hence the emphasis on a fabric container)
- Inspect results
- Beat the crap out of it some more
- Inspect again
- Sift out the sticks and pods
- Winnow out the chaff using the almighty power of the wind
- Gaze with pride at free seed!!
- Store securely in case the mice get into the shed over winter again
I think it’s really important to get kids involved in even the sideline parts of DIY food production. So much of this push to get kids growing is sowing the seeds and tending the plants, but where does the seed come from?